Sunday, September 25, 2011

Hurtin' the Brain

At 9:15 AM this morning, me and my fellow compadrestook our placement exam to determine which level of Japanese would be the most suitable to our abilities. Last night, everyone was losing their minds; many were cramming, practicing, and just pacing around as if they heard another dai-earthquake was immanent. I, however, did not care; I was way too tired, and because I had studied a lot over the summer, I felt that it would be useless to study more (as if one more night would make a huge difference). Then, this morning, I regretted my decision. None the less, we made our way to the University.

I did not do too bad, actually. Towards the end of each section, I was simply just guessing/writing down random things because the level at that point was higher than my ability. Yet, I did not do too badly. However, there was one thing I goofed up on, which costed me around eight or so points. The second-half of the listening comprehension was in the true/false format. The teacher turned on the stereo, the friendly-sounding Japanese people would say stuff, then a question would be asked, to which we would circle T or F. The first question was already answered for us. For reasons unknown, after hearing the first question (which was already answered), I circled an answer on question 2. Basically, for eight questions, I was on answering on the wrong line. I did not realize my error until, when I thought we were finished, the tape asked one more question. I tried to shift everything up one line, but did not have enough time. I am assuming I got all those questions wrong now, but I am thankful that I did that for only eight questions; had it been for twenty or so, then perhaps I would have started crying.

The placement exam also consisted of an interview. This, hopefully, is where I picked up the game, because my interview did not go too badly. I was even making a little side conversation that were branching out from the original questions they asked.

Afterwards, me and Taylor went to Makkudonarudo (McDonald's) and decided to try one of their funky-concoction. I had a burger with bacon and eggs, and some weird white sauce. Wasn't too bad, but definitely won't go there again anytime soon; I am only in Japan for three months, after all.

The opening ceremony and tea party starts real soon, so I have to wrap up for now. I will upload pics soon. Peace.

1 comment:

  1. Waiting for those pics (tap, tap, tap of fingernails on table).

    ReplyDelete