Saturday, September 24, 2011

Meetin' new people and further episodes of chillin'

Been a busy two days. Yesterday, me and my new friend Paul from Oregon went to Shinjuku (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinjuku,_Tokyo) and Ochanomizu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ochanomizu). Before we left, he and I and a couple of other people were walking around the local train station grabbing a bite to eat. Up until this point, I have had a couple of opportunities to speak Japanese, and each time I could hold a "conversation" for up to, maybe, three-four sentences. I was just talking to Paul when he suddenly said, "Speak in Japanese." Throughout the entire day, I got to practice with him through speaking and listening.

I am extremely glad that Paul made me practice all day yesterday, because today all the students were split into small groups to go on a tour of the campus and of Kanagawa. My group, the smallest, consisted of Ben Norton (from Lincoln as well) and David from Ireland. Our tour guides were four girls, all going to Senshu. The tour lasted about four hours. And guess what? Yeah, homeboy got to talk a lot in Japanese today. I'm really glad Ben was in my group, because whenever I have a moment of "Uhhhhhh..." I just ask him for help real fast, and he is always helpful in that department.

Two days ago today, my Japanese was not so much terrible, as it was that I had no experience with actually using it in context (ie with other Japanese people in a conversation). After the last two days, I have become much, much more comfortable in speaking. Two days ago, I would get extremely nervous and flub everything to the point that I couldn't even finish a sentence. Now, the filter/barrier of apprehensiveness is almost non-existent. There are three guys from Ireland, and none of them are able to speak any Japanese. A couple of times today, I got to play translator for David, and one time for another guy in our group after the tour. The other dude, Taylor, told me, "Yeah, you should ask so-and-so this because you're much better than I am." Flattered, I was. But, true, I did not think so. Yoda, Japanese is like.

Last night was interesting. I can't remember how, but Paul and I ran into two girls, both from Germany and France, at our dorm. They are studying at Senshu as well, but they will be here for an entire year, and therefore live in another dorm. We mentioned that he and I, and a couple of other students were gonna go downtown and chill. They were more than down. We met the two, and another friend from Germany, at the train station, and once again Paul and I returned to Shinjuku, but this time with three European ladies. We had a good time. We ate dinner in Shinkuku, walked around, visited a Shrine, and then returned to Kanagawa and drank a little.

WHOA time to go; the Irish kids just announced they are going to the arcade, and they have been itching to go out for awhile (they went out last night as well, I believe). Time to chill PEACE

Update: Got back from the arcade. The party consisted of Paul, Taylor, David and Connor (Irish dudes), and two girls from Oregon and myself. At the arcade, you are allowed to drink and smoke, and the Japanese crowd are not a crowd to mess with. There is a Gundam-style video game where up to eight people can play, and it is an all-out brawl. The Japanese guys were getting really into it, in the same way Joe, Chris, Miles, Miran have been bashing it out in Melee. So, I played Bubble Bobble (personal favorite), R-type Final-like game, and Tekken 6. In Tekken 6, I played as Kuma (http://tekken.wikia.com/wiki/Kuma) and kicked the computer's ass. Then, as I was just getting ready to fight the next opponent, the game stops and announces that I have a new challenger. I look over the machine and a Japanese dude sits down, ready to kick my ass. And he did; he could combo like it was the end of the world, and poor Kuma took it hard :(

The Japanese don't play video games like we do. It isn't a game, but a way to prove one's honor. And tonight, I dishonored myself. However, I have three months to learn combos, so to all the Japanese Otaku's out there: GET READY

2 comments:

  1. One full day in-country and TIMMEH leads the drinking (and eating, of course) tour of Tokyo. Raised him right.

    ReplyDelete